Friday, July 10, 2009

Springfield, Ill - Day 34

Hi everyone from Springfield, Ill,
Well as you can see, it was a very overcast day to begin which was good because it was 74 at 6:00 a.m. this morning!! We had a very long day of 106 miles with ½ as much climbing as we have had the last two days!! Basically we started on Rt 104 and went 65 miles before changing roads. So far, Illinois has been much nicer to us than Missouri was as far as terrain goes! Lots of grain and we only had 1750 feet of climb today compared to 3000 and 4600 the last two days!!


Our first SAG stop wasn’t until the mile 41, but I managed to get a little break before then – I locked up my chain trying to move from small ring to middle on a long gradual hill – (see Will and Bob what kind of trouble that 28 chain ring can get me into???) – I laid the bike in the grass and couldn’t get the chain to budge and then turned the bike upside down ( like I knew what I was doing) and stood there and looked at it for about a minute and just like Superman, there was Michelle and the van to the rescue – she just happened to have a mechanic (Gerrard) in the van who worked diligently for about 3 minutes and freed it up – then he put enough oil on it to last for about 2 weeks, it seemed?!?!? Guess I will have to keep after it a little better - actually the bike has done a great job for me so far – some people have had major problems with theirs! Then they gave me a 10 mile “bump” in the van which really helped a lot!



The SAG was at a little church in a town called Chambersburg???!?! Who would have thought it??





Right after that we crossed the Illinois River Bridge and you should be impressed – I got over it pretty much by myself with my friends Meiri and Norbert behind me.



Check this sign – Jacksonville?? I thought that was in Florida!!Our second SAG was at mile 67 in a the town of Jacksonville where I had to interrupt a local baseball game to be sure I was on the right road. From here on in to Springfield, it was fairly flat with corn on both sides of the road.











An example of yard art that I thought you cyclists might appreciate!!















On the edge of town was a bike shop that we gave lots of business to – I bought a new tire and will replace my rear tire in the next couple of days – it is holding up well, but showing some wear – think I didn’t have enough air in it a couple of days and just want to be safe the rest of the trip since I have been lucky this far.








As we rode by the capitol building, I decided to stop and take a picture and forgot to clip out on the right foot – so I did a very graceful “tuck and roll” and landed on the sidewalk unhurt – while down there, I decided to take the picture like I planned it this way. I only have a minor scratch on my elbow.

Today's hurrah goes to the girls in my card club who have been very supportive through this whole endeaver!! Thanks!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!









3 comments:

  1. Aunt Carole what a dedicated photographer you are! I'm sure the tuck and roll looked extremely graceful, and as for staying down on the sidewalk... I don't think that's where they recommend you take your breaks.

    Trip looks awesome keep up the good work now that you are getting into more humid territory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole, Glad to hear you have a mechanic on hand, and that the repair wasn't too bad. Your bike is working hard - just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've hit the nitty gritty part of the ride....lots of long days in the saddle with a long way to go...KEEP ON PEDALING AND SMILING! The days will be gone and the end near before you know it. Still looks like you're seeing a lot of neat country! I was pleased to hear you've worked on your dismount, hopefully you'll teach me the technique when you get home! (If you remember, the last time I tried it did not work out nearly as well !! :):) Also, let's not be knocking Twinkies..they and a Coke got me through my first Century if you remember!! Thinking of you daily....keep on rolling!

    ReplyDelete