Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Chillicothe, Mo - Day 31

Hi everyone from Chillicothe, Mo,
What a wonderful day it was today!!! We were introduced to “CR” which means country road! Today’s blog will be mainly about the roads that we have been traveling on. As you can see, they were mostly all back back roads and reminded me of where I grew up and where I have been riding around Gettysburg. It was like today’s route was planned out just to make me happy!


The morning was warm and there wasn’t much humidity – sky was blue and we spent most of the first 21 miles on CR”W”, CR”O”, CR”Z”, and CR”V: and then onto Hwy 6 East and into the little town of Maysville where our first SAG was.



Sometime this morning, I was riding along and minding my own business when I came upon 4 midsized raccoons eating some road kill!!! At first I thought they were grey cats, but I was able to get a good look at them before they scurried off – however, they were much too fast for me to get the camera out.

Look carefully at this photo and you will see what we call “rollers” – climb up a hill and fly down the other side and half way up the next hill. They were never ending. We also saw a few more dogs today that thought they had to let us know who is boss!


On HWY 6, we encountered a new kind of rumble strip – look carefully at the white strip and you will see little divits – yes, they are rumble strips underneath the white paint.

We came through several small towns and then back to the CR roads – this is an example of a crossroads of two different CR roads – “F” and “U”?!?!?!?!? Such originality they have in this state!! This crossroads led us to really back roads where we saw very little traffic – wasn’t even sure that people lived out here. They reminded me of growing up on the farm and feeling like civilization was miles away – now at this age, I really appreciate the beauty of the back areas. Also the road surface was very similar to those in southern Adams County.
Our second SAG was in a little town of Jamesport that I almost missed – I saw the sign and thought it was cute, but it just didn’t register that I should turn there – several tenths of a mile down the road, it hit me and I returned and got to the little town of Jamestown. Here we saw several Amish buggies and I explained to some of the group some of the traditions they follow.




I’m not sure what the name of this creek/river is, but thought I would show you how wide and muddy it is. It was on my way into the town of Chillicothe where we are staying in a Best Western tonight with dinner at the Golden Corral – I have eaten more steaks in these 4 weeks than I have eaten for the last 15 years – they are all delicious and tonight I had a mini steak and a piece of chicken both!


Here is the mechanic, Tom, who joined us for the second half of the trip. He is not new to ABB and has done many trips with them. He was riding about 100 feet in front of me when a huge dog came out of a corn field – he yelled at it and it returned to the field and never even came out to see me. Thanks, Tom!

I want to thank everyone who is reading, commenting, and e-mailing me about the blog. Several have expressed how well the pictures have turned out - I am using a Kodak 7.1 megapixel camera and sometimes even take the pictures while moving. I have been very pleased with it too!!

Today's hurrah goes out to my sister, Jamie, who thought of me and bought blueberries from Kennie's on special to put into my freezer. If you get a chance, yes, you can get more. If not, what you did get will be fine!!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!!

3 comments:

  1. Tell Tom I said HELLO, and he missed a good ride up the Natches
    Trace. Also tell him about Cindy and Carls
    Tandum. He is to come South sometime and ride at the Gulf with us. Wish I was there today. This is perfect riding. Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Carole,
    More blueberries on the way! Boys are on a 3 day canoeing trip with church. Sheldon's boys also and at least Connor also..not sure if sisters went. Megan flew back to CA today, and Kendra goes to camp tomorrow (just looked at clock..make that today!) House will be empty Thursday, but I am working a double, so will miss the quiet!
    While you are pedalling, start thinking blackberries! No way can I pick as many blackberries as you need, so we'll have to find a day to pick after you get home. The yellow hill site said to check in after the 20th to see when berries are best for harvesting. I can taste them already.
    Keep headed EAST!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your encounter with the racoons reminded me of the time you were wheeled in the the ER with a big cut on your head after an encounter with some type of animal on a training ride. I saw you and said - "Hey, that's my sister-in-law!" Glad these critters didn't get in your way this time! Take care and keep enjoying the country. We are all enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete