Friday, July 3, 2009

Abilene, Ks - Day 27

Hi from Abilene, Ks,
This was a super duper looper of a day!!!! We started with another huge breakfast of pancakes, eggs, bacon, oj, etc. that I couldn’t begin to eat all of !!! After loading, we headed out into the wind on Rt 56 for about 11 miles and then turned north and the wind carried us for 30 beautiful fast fun miles and then turned back into the wind and it seemed like we were on a sailboat tacking – first right into the wind and then left carried by the wind until we arrived here after 64.5 miles!!


Somewhere along that first 18 miles of the wind behind us, we came upon a sign painted on the road that indicated that we had reached the half way mark of our whole trip. As you can see, I was quite pleased – it just continues to amaze me that my legs and hip hold up as well as they do everyday. I am not at all a fast rider, but I can get there.


Here are Alex (staff), Bob, Norbert, Meiri, myself and Marilyn who were all at this point at the same time. It was eerie as I approached because I saw several other riders there and thought there might have been a problem or flat tire and then I saw the painting on the road. They didn’t tell us where it was going to be – just to watch as you are riding – so we were all quite surprised!!



I had to take this picture for those of you who are such fans of the color orange – obviously someone else is very proud of his orange tractors!!



We only had one rest stop today and it was in this lovely pavilion – I was having such a great time that I rode right past until I heard someone yelling for me – you know that I wouldn’t want to miss any food!!!

Lunch today was in a little town called Solomon with one grocery store – chicken salad sandwich and chips with soda- doesn’t get much better than that!!! Then I headed out for the last 17 miles into the wind again!!





I passed the National Greyhound Association and took a picture of this statue. This is where the dogs are trained.

As I entered Abilene, I could smell the sweet smell of chocolate – no I wasn’t in Hershey, but the home of the Russell Stover chocolate factory!!! We did try to take a bus for a visit, but the buses weren’t running and it was too hot for me to ride another 6-8 miles.
I did stop on the way into the hotel to get a hot fudge shake from Sonic and when I arrived at the hotel, there was a huge box of donuts delivered for us – haven’t done this in years, but I ate an apple fritter!!! So, as you can see, it was a great day, life is good, and I still love to eat!!!

Tonight we had a very special treat for dinner - we ate in the Brookville Hotel next to our Holiday Inn Express and they served family style - it was the best skillet fried chicken, real mashed potatoes, creamed corn, cole slaw, biscuits, and homemade ice cream - it was like a special treat for us and it was out of this world!!
Tomorrow will be another long day – century – hope it isn’t too hot!!





Today's hurrah goes to my nephew and godson, Justin, who sent me the most encouraging card with a wonderful word of advice on the back - he says, "Nothing is impossible until you give up!!" Thanks kiddo!!!





Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!!

3 comments:

  1. who is the guy standing third from the left? He has an a shirt from 2007, Has he rode before , and which trip? Can't say enough about how I would like to be there. Enjoy those wonderful doughnuts while you can. Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have given you chills to see the 1/2 way point! Hope the Apple Fritter was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arlene! (And Carole, of Course!)
    That guy is Norbert, who has ridden parts of "Ride the East" and "Ride the West" with AbB. He's a great guy.

    Carole, you look great, and I envy your continued vacation! Hope to se eyou in New Hampshire. BTW, Linda and I have continued to find new ways to ride up the mountains, so you also have that to look forward to when you get back!

    ReplyDelete