Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hamburg, NY - Day 45

Hi everyone from Hamburg, NY,
You know something is amiss when you go to breakfast at 6:30 and all 5 staff show up and none of them are suited up to ride – at first you might think we were to have another rest day, but no, that wasn’t the case!! None of the staff were riding, but we all were and we were riding in pouring down rain!!
Apparently it rained overnight, but I had slept right through it – the nice thing this morning was that it wasn’t freezing cold, but it was wet! What disappointed me the most was that we were riding all day long by Lake Erie and I was looking forward to it being beautiful. Well, the lake was there, but, it wasn’t at all beautiful today! Can you tell where the lake ends and the sky begins??? It was really tough all day long.



Riding in the rain today brought back fond memories of some earlier in life rain experiences – sleeping in Maine in a cabin with a tin roof while working for Devereux; 6th grade environmental camp sitting under the overhang at the bathroom at midnight with Dee and Beth; camping at the shore and trying to keep a tent dry; and 6th grade camp walking the beat with Beth and Kit in the pouring down rain and using our walkie talkies! All of these were pleasant rain experiences as was today because none of them were too cold.


We did have vineyards to look at all day long – now and then, we had corn fields on one side and vineyards on the other side and the “gray” lake!




We did enter the state of New York at mile 19.8.

We stopped at mile 29.9 at the Daniel Reed Memorial Pier so we could use the restroom and get water, if needed. At this point staff Judy showed me the doplar picture on her iphone and said it should ease up by Dunkirk at mile 43.6.





This was a really neat light house that was at the stop and also a picture of Bob Horn with his rain gear – looks like he is really having fun, doesn’t it??







And of course, me, having equally as much fun!!!! Some days you just really need a sense of humor!!!

Our only SAG of the day was at mile 47.4 and across the street from it was a small pizza place – I was dripping and soaken wet and dripped all over the floor, but they were happy to have our business. Actually they had the best chicken noodle soup using Kloski noodles and boy was it hot and yummy!!! Along with that I had a piece of pizza with pepperoni because they didn’t have any plain cheese – go figure, a pizza place w/out cheese pizza?!?!?

This is Alex and Gerrard (staff) having way too much fun at the pizza place!








Today I received another package of sport beans from my family (thanks Nancy) and inside was this card that nephew Justin made for me. Of course it made me cry and made me realize that I really have to get to the end now!!



Today's hurrah goes to my three pharmacist friends, Tammy, Brad, and Mike who advised me with all of my medications that I might need on the trip - thanks!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!

1 comment:

  1. Here's another wet memory for you - the year Jamie and I ran Marine Corps Marathon and it was pouring. Perry ran the last 8 miles with Jamie in his jeans, and you and Diane Wasserman entertained Matthew and her daughter in our van. And then there was the wet t-shirt you got in the face that one year while cheering us on at Marine Corps (wet sweat from a stranger - yuk!). We are grateful that you were there for us all those times - and we are so glad we can share your great endeavor through your blog. We are so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete