Friday, July 24, 2009

Little Falls, NY - Day 48

Hi everyone from Little Falls, NY,
This morning’s ride started out with quite a few turns in downtown Liverpool and finally about mile 7 we were out of town and on the back roads again. The roads and scenery continue to be very much like what we have at home. However, they have had oodles of rain this summer and many people have been out mowing their lawns while the grass is very wet. As a result of the weather we have been riding through what seems to be 100% humidity, but it has been cool.

Breakfast this morning was in the hotel and we started riding about 7 – and our first SAG was at mile 24.9 miles right along the Erie Canal. After riding several miles on it, I all of a sudden hit something in the road pretty hard. But, I continued on to the “Nice N Easy” convenience store and then checked the tire to find the sidewall had a weak spot, but was still holding air – I had the SAG people check it and they put a patch on the inside of tire even though it hadn’t been penetrated; pumped it up again; and sent me on my way.

Five miles later I was wondering why it was so difficult to pedal and looked down at the tire and I knew it was going flat!! I called for help and continued to walk about a mile until they came – time was an issue, so I just told them to put it in the van and we would change the tire out tonight. This tire has made it all of the way across until now, so I can’t complain. Hopefully it will hold and I am set to ride again tomorrow.

When we arrived into town I took some pictures from the little town we are staying in. It really is quite quaint and pretty! Across from our hotel is a public laundromat and we all converged on it to do our last big wash for the trip. Many hotels along the way either had no laundry or one machine that we would all fight over. So this was quite a treat!!!







This is a shot of mechanic repair hour where my tire was being fixed!
alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5362194733896604994" />We only have four more days to be with our friends and many mixed emotions are surfacing – some are anxiously looking forward to seeing family members again and some just don’t want this to end for a while longer. It sure has been fun – you kind of feel like you are being taken care of for 52 days and you have no responsibilities except to stay healthy and ride your bike every day.
I’m not sure how much time I will get to do this over the next couple of days, but will try to keep you updated and after finishing will post a final entry when I have some time to think.


Today’s hurrah goes to all of the friendly people that we have met along the way who have been very supportive and just amazed at what we are doing!


Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!

1 comment:

  1. Go Carole!!! so proud of you and excited for you and I am still utterly amazed. we will be thinking of you and cheering you on. and I may be in Portsmouth if I can swing it.

    ReplyDelete