Thursday, July 23, 2009

Liverpool, NY - Day 47

Hi everyone from Liverpool, NY,
Well, it was another interesting day in New York!!! We awoke to rain and really warm weather – we rode our bikes to Denny’s for breakfast – eggs, oatmeal, bacon biscuit, oj, milk, coffee. I left the restaurant as early as possible because it was to be a short day of only 69 miles. The most exciting thing that happened to me due to leaving early was that I got to pass the front runners because one of them had two flat tires at the same time!!!! Of course, that didn’t last too long because as soon as they were changed they flew past me and left me in the dust!

We basically left the hotel on Rt 20 and stayed on it and Rt 5 for many miles – going through the town of Waterloo – birthplace of Memorial Day and Seneca Falls – Birth place of women’s rights Hall of Fame. We rode past Seneca Lake – it was very overcast so the pictures aren’t the best! I was moving very well and decided just to try to get in as early as possible so I would have some time to clean my bike after all of this messy weather!!


The only SAG today was at mile 30 and since a lot of people were sight – seeing, I was in early and Bruce asked if I would ride with him to help with all of the turns coming up. We had 19 turns in 40 miles and a lot of them were only .2-.5 miles apart. So we rode all the way into the hotel and I was actually there at 1:45 and had plenty of time to clean my bike – this resulted in a lot of grease all over my hands.




As a result of the weather recently a lot of people were cleaning their bikes this afternoon.



Here’s a serious cyclist about cleaning his bike – this is Jim – notice the apron and plastic gloves.



Mechanic’s hour is always busy on a rainy day – we had lots of flat tires today – luckily I have not had any and hope not to have any from now to the end!













Tonight’s dinner was at a Chinese Buffet – these buffet meals are going to come a screeching halt very soon when this ride is over!

Today's hurrah goes out to "Buckaroo" Michael - who is like the the "Everready bunny" when he runs because he just goes and goes when he runs!!!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like weather has done a number on us again also. We didn't get to see the launch and weather for coming back from PA doesn't look so good. It looks like we may not get to the wedding or stay in your house. We discussed that you have only a few more days at choir get together Wed night,Diane,Marion and Don have been keeping tabs on you. Good luck with the next few days. You have almost made it. What about coming to visit sometime during your 3 weeks off before school?????? keep trucking

    ReplyDelete