Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Canandaigua, NY - Day 46

Hi everyone from Canandaigua, NY,
What a difference a day makes!!! Yesterday was all about what Coach Arlene calls “perseverance”, while riding through 82 miles of rain! We woke up this morning to very nice temps and sunshine. After breakfast at the hotel (bagel/cream cheese, raisin bran, banana, juice, and coffee) we rode out for a ncie treat. After riding 7.7 miles we arrived at the Bicycle Museum and the owner, Carl, spoke with us.






Carl has a wealth of knowledge and the largest collection of bicycle history in the US – he has some pieces that are one of a kind – it was really interesting to listen to him explain how bicycles started and how the original ones were called “Boneshakers” – I can’t remember the whole sequence, but originally there were no pedals – then it moved to the huge front wheel, and so on until it evolved to what we have today!!!
I felt privileged to have an opportunity to hear Carl speak because he is currently in the process of selling the business and it will be moved from its current site. So we were the last group of ABB Cross Country Challenge riders to hear him. He has an incredible amount of knowledge and is quite an interesting speaker!!


These shelves are from an original bike shop many years ago.


I tried to get up on this bike, but wasn’t able to put my weight on my left hip and so had to settle with standing beside it!!



Imagine my surprise to see this sign - I thought Caledonia was 14 miles from my home in Gettysburg!
After an hour or so and a few purchases, we headed out again – this time without our jackets. We traveled through a few small towns while staying on Rt 20 to the first SAG stop at mile 30. The next stop wasn’t for 38 more miles during which we had most of our 3850 feet of climb – the climbs were very long, but not that bad of a grade and provided an equally as long of a downhill after reaching the top. Rt. 20 had a very nice smooth shoulder on it, but I found it to be quite boring because there were no turns and not much to look at.
By mile 69, I was very tired and it was to be a 94 mile day. There really wasn’t a good place to get much to eat and I think yesterday’s rain took more out of me than I thought it did. When I saw the van in Avon, and it was already 3:30, I decided to get in because I couldn’t have finished 25 miles by 5. It was a good idea for me. As it turned out, I was dropped off at the hotel and was delighted to see that across the street from our hotel was a WEGMANS!!!!! Now I must admit, I have missed my Wegman’s fixes all summer long, so I thought I had died and went to heaven. After showering, I walked over and only bought chocolate milk, sweet cherries, granola and a cranberry walnut muffin!!! By the time Iheaded back to the hotel, it was pouring – so, of course, I just stayed there and ate my muffin until the rain subsided somewhat!
Dinner tonight was at Ponderosa and breakfast tomorrow morning will be at Denny’s – we get to choose our own “grand slam” items – it will be a huge breakfast.

The next three days aren’t too bad for climb or distance, but Sunday and Monday will both be very challenging days!!



Today's hurrah goes to my brother Eric who I think celebrated his birthday or his wedding anniversary(in which case, Colleen also) today - not sure which!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!

1 comment:

  1. Just wish I had a tape of the tales the man at the bike shop told. I took many PICTURES BUT THEY WERE NOT AS TRUE AS THE REAL THING. Have lots of fun on those hills. Arlene

    ReplyDelete