Thursday, July 9, 2009

Quincy, Ill - Day 33

Hi everyone from Quincy, Ill.,
The day began unlike any other so far in that we had fairly dense fog! That is part of the reason why the pictures are limited tonight. After breakfast in the hotel, we headed out wearing our visible lime green or yellow jackets. The air was quite heavy with moisture causing us to exert even more effort.


We left town and headed out to CR “K” again and were on it for 43 miles with a SAG stop at mile 25.5 in the little town of Barring – which consisted of an old café, haunted Barring hotel, and a few other old buildings. I did purchase a “Twinkie” in the Café – I figured if they were good for Lance Armstrong, they should be good for me!!
The road continued with lots of “rollers” which were tough on the legs. It is really tough to show you proper perspective of the rollers. To me it is like being on a roller coaster climbing up and the car gets slower before cresting the hill – it looks like the hill is right in front of you!!



From mile 25-70, we were on the most awful road you can imagine!!! It was really rough and nothing around, but corn fields – it was kind of an eerie feeling because it seemed like you should see someone besides just the SAG giving you water!!!





At 71.5, we were at the Mississippi River and were ferried across in a boat – the ride took about 8-9 min. Here are Bob, Marilyn, and myself enjoying the ride.





This is a picture of the river from the boat!!On the other side of the the river is Illinois and the end of the rollers for now!!! It was very hot, but flat the rest of the way into Quincy.
Tomorrow we get to wake up and do it all over again – 106 miles this time!!



This is a picture of Sean, Jack, and Norbert enjoying a game of pool after dinner in our hotel last night.

Today’s hotel has VS, so we have been catching up on the Tour de France after eating dinner at a Chinese Buffet.

Today's hurrah goes to my friend Will who has shared a lot of his cycling nutrition tips with me! Thanks, Will!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Carole, Love the shirts, very patriotic! Hope Lance Armstrong can recover from the bump into 3rd place. I'm following the race through the computer. I haven't tried to see if it's on any of our satellite stations. You are not missing much in Gettysburg as it is "Bike" week. Just the constant roar of the "cycles." Truth is when I think of a "bike" week, I think it should be a bicycle, not a motorcycle. Picked up my bike from the bike shop where I had them tune it up. Now there are no excuses left for me not to ride!
    Keep on going strong!

    ReplyDelete