Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Indianapolis, Ind.- Day 37


Hi everyone from Indianapolis, In,
Today we had a great time and just played!!! I mean 62 miles - lots to do along the way helped us forget about the grueling mileage that we did earlier this week. And the weather was made to order too – I even wore a jacket for the first 10-16 miles – no humidity, bright beautiful sunshine and sky. We had breakfast at Joey’s CafĂ© in downtown Crawfordsville, and then headed out on on Rt 136 again. We traveled through little towns – every 3-6 miles a different one – I am told that is because in the early days, the steam engines couldn’t go more than a few miles at a time – towns of Mace, New Ross, Jamestown, Lizton, Pittsboro - our first SAG at mile30.
Shortly after that we had the opportunity to visit the Roark Factory – they make titanium bicycles and airplane parts – the bike frames are made to order after you have been fitted – the thing I was most impressed with was the titanium water cage that felt like you were holding paper clip and sold for $100 each!!!
We headed back out to mile 42 and Eagle Creek Park - it was a beautiful 3 mile road through very shady and lush trees and was a nice relief from the sun.


Nine miles later, we entered into the Indianapolis Motor Speedway where we visited the museum and took lots of pictures.





Nephews, these are for you!!







Six miles later, we had the opportunity to ride on an outdoor velodrome – you may have seen an indoor one on the Olympics. The outdoor one is made of cement and I was much too afraid the try it, but I enjoyed watching other riders trying to get to the top and trying to improve their lap time!! I hear that Gerrard had the top time of 25 sec. with Doc Sean coming close behind with 27 sec and Tom Terrific next with 32 sec. (Of course, Tom blamed his time on the timekeeper!)


















From here on in we were on a paved bike path that was absolutely gorgeous. From mile 56 to 62, we had a whole page of cues with the longest between cues being 1.7 miles and the shortest being 0.1 mi. We actually had 7 different cues and turns from mile 61.8 to 62.4. I felt like we were on a treasure hunt!!!! I must thank Bruce for riding with me today because it really took two of us to maneuver our way into the hotel!! But, I will say, they did a good job of not putting us on the city streets!!










– see picture of dam and suspension bridge.


Tomorrow is a rest day and I am excited to be visiting with my nephew Bill, his wife Judith, and their 3 super kids!! People will be doing laundry, site seeing, resting, and relaxing and getting ready for our next leg of 5 days with almost 500 miles – we will be ready for our next rest day in Erie!!!

Today's hurrah goes to Bill, Judith, Alise, Garrett, and Nathan for being such great hosts and sharing my rest day with me - thanks!!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!





3 comments:

  1. 2 weeks to go! Keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Carole.sorry I haven't posted in a while. Still no go on the launch, however, we did get to attend the pre launch party and talk to several family members of the astronaut, Tim Kopra. The commaraderie and the sea food were both awesome. I just wanted to know if you ever told the crew what great fun we used to have after riding on those dusty roads on the farm through the irrigation water. Do you remember??? Some times we came out muddier than we went in, but boy was it fun!!! Not much further to go, keep up the good work. Sorry I didn't get to spend your rest day with you and the Cheeseman's. Stay strong till the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to rub this in...since we were stuck in FL for the launch, we did get to stay on the beach and spent 3 glorious days there. I really enjoyed the morning and afternoon strolls collecting shells and watching the cruise ships come in at the Cape. I know....you wish you could have been there. Maybe next summer. Emmie and I are already discussing a week with Kirk's family at the Outerbanks!!!

    ReplyDelete