Thursday, July 2, 2009

McPherson, Ks. - Day 26

Hi from McPherson, Ks.,
Have you ever heard of McPherson?? Me either, but it is a lovely little town with some unique shops, delis, etc. We started today with another huge breakfast – pancakes, eggs, oatmeal, sausage, oj, and coffee.
We started riding early to beat the heat and it actually was very pleasant with a cloud cover and temps in the 70s. Again directions were to come out of hotel, get on Rt 56 and ride 64 miles to Best Western hotel.
About 10 miles down the road, we came upon this deer who was quite compliant in allowing us to take her picture. Then on to the little town of Ellinwood. Sag stop at mile 26.8 and then on to town of Lyons– 2 Dairy Queen’s – who could eat it at 9:30???
This is a picture of two different ways to bale hay – we saw lots of fields like this today.



This picture is of one of the intersections I rode by today – on Rt. 56, the crossing streets are all numbered from 1-31 almost all of the way into McPherson. Some of our men thought that was a pretty neat idea – oh and did I mention that all roads off of Rt 56 today were dirt?!?!?


23 more miles to town of Conway which is really a unique town – all I saw there was the train cars on one side of the road and the refineries on the other side. You might think we are in Texas – I had no idea they refined that much gas/oil in Kansas!!!


The road today was two lane with a narrow shoulder – we might have been saved from some of the trucks due to a horrible storm last night that left all of the grains too wet to cut this morning. Scenery was the same the whole way here – did I mention that there were headwinds all day long so I only averaged 11mph when I should have been doing 14mph. So what else to do, but relax and enjoy the ride.
This is the courthouse in McPherson.This is a shirt that Chris designed when doing his fund raiser for Cerebral Palsy for his brother Pete.
I was asked the other day if there are days when I just wish I didn’t have to ride and I can happily report at this point that this has not happened to me. The fact that everything is planned out for me, a cue sheet provided, a mechanic to do repairs and nothing left for me to do, but ride just makes the day so much fun. Some days you ride with people that you normally don’t see too much and sometimes you just ride by yourself. I have never felt threatened or afraid because just when you are thinking you might be on the wrong road or wondering where the SAG wagon is, it appears like magic. Their timing has been super!!! They take such good care of us, I couldn’t imagine doing this trip any other way!!!
Today, after having lunch at the Main St. Deli and going down the street to a bakery, I headed to the hotel and actually spent time lounging by the pool with about 7-9 other people. Life is really rough!!!!! Dinner was at Montanna Mikes again tonight and then a double dipped ice cream waffle cone from Braums!!! Incredible!

Today's hurrah goes to my friend, Heath, who used to work at the bike shop and was very tolerant and patient when encouraging me to buy my road bike!!!
Yes, David, yesterday's hurrah went to Sean, our mechanic - see you could do this too!!!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!


1 comment:

  1. Hello, company just left and finally caught up with blog. Still envy you, the wonderful feeling that it is all planned and all you have to do is ride!!!!! Hope to talk soon your blog is just too enticing , I want to start getting ready for nest year. Carl Cindy and I are planning a ride in Sept. not but a couple days, if we don't get practicing. it might be longer. Arlene

    ReplyDelete