Saturday, July 25, 2009

Latham, NY - Day 49

Hi everyone from Latham, NY,
Well, it finally happened – I woke up this morning and just was tired and really didn’t want to ride – I muddled through breakfast feeling sorry for myself and actually laid back down in bed for a few minutes before the inevitable was about to begin!! As I slowly ambled outside with my luggage and bike, this is what was to face me!!! Yes, a huge mass of fog – lots of moisture in the air and cool enough to wear a jacket.





So I started riding and the first 8 miles had some climbing as we headed on RT 5 East toward Schenectady. But, surprise, the fog did lift and it turned out to be a beautiful day!!! It truly represented the meaning of “every gray cloud has a silver lining”!
We rode through a small town call Nelliston and 15 miles later to Fonda – Rt 5 was a nice road with a huge shoulder designated a bike road, some traffic, and no rumble strips!!









Our SAG was at mile 34 at a beautiful scenic rest stop (no facilities, but a huge corn field in the back) and guess what – Eddy, the gnome resurfaced – can you find him??
While there, I got a call from brother Gary – perfect timing!We continued riding until I saw this sign – where am I?? I thought I was in New York – looks like it could be Pa. or Europe!!






We finally left Rt 5 at mile 50 - (I stopped at a store to get something to eat and got a call from Coach Bob which was nice and encouraging as usual) and went over the Mohawk River we had been riding beside all day and continued on the other side of it on a delightful bike path – it was very inspiring and just so much fun to be out in nature and not have to hear the sound of traffic – I could just listen to the noises from the woods.







Back to the bike path for another 10 miles and it was just heavenly!! Then off of path and another 6 miles and into the hotel – Ramada Inn tonight.


This is Leslie and Virginia who joined us in Erie and are completing their cross country ride on Tuesday - they did it in three sections and all of it on a tandem bike!! Congratulations!


Dinner was at the Old Country Buffet – hence one of my favorite signs!!







After dinner, we had a tee shirt swap and you can see that I ended with a Tour de France t-shirt from Gerard!! I was happy – the other shirt I tried to get was the soccer shirt from our British rider – I had it briefly, but the last person to pick also wanted it. So I am still happy!





Route rap presented the grueling day we will have tomorrow – but, as always, I will do my best and hopefully surprise myself!!



I received another package at the hotel tonight with more sport beans and.....this great card made by nephew Brandon!!! Did you pull that one picture off of my blog??? Super job kiddo!!!! Thanks!!!

Today's hurrah goes to nephew Kyle and his bride, Kasey who exchanged vows today - so sorry I couldn't be there, but do wish you many years of happiness!!! Congratulations!

1 comment:

  1. Just unbelievable...where have 8 weeks gone! You are just ending your great journey and I get to go back to school tomorrow! Enjoy your 3 weeks of break before your return!!!I know the last few days will be very bittersweet...what an accomplishment! Just take it all in and enjoy!Keep Truckin'

    ReplyDelete