Saturday, June 13, 2009

Winnemucca, Nv. - Day 7

Hello from Winnemucca which means “one moccasin”!! We had quite an interesting day beginning with breakfast family style at the Cowpoke Café and I am so enjoying eating eggs, pancakes, bacon, some sort of potato, fruit, and pastry every morning!! The first picture is the same café, but that is outside where we ate last night!!


It was raining when we loaded our luggage at 6:15 and still raining after breakfast at 6:30 – so, rain gear and long fingered gloves because it was 52 degrees and drizzling. We rode mostly on flat roads today with only 1520 feet of climb over 75 miles.
About 7 of us were riding together and went through a very short tunnel under I-80 which had bats at the end, so I screamed the whole way through so they didn’t attack me. The rain became steadier and steadier and we got wetter and wetter until our first SAG at 24.5 - we all drank hot chocolate, tried to get used to our wet clothes again and headed out. The mountains were one big cloud on either side of us and not much brightness to be found.
Yes, up to I-80 we headed again with all of the big trucks and spray showering us – however we did learn today that the truckers do warn each other that we are on the road and almost all give us wide berth. After roughly 20 miles, we exited and ate lunch at a Subway. I was revived after lunch and really took off very strong for 10 miles exiting again for another 20 miles into the hotel. The rain did ease up and we had a wonderful tail wind pushing us into town.
As I entered town, the mountains on the left (see picture with white “W”) had a peak of sunshine at the top. Things brightened up and became quite nice – lot of us spent afternoon cleaning our bikes, making Walmart run, and having repairs made to the bikes.

I need to mention that we have ridden over many “cattle crossings” with the grates just like we used to have on the farm only instead of round horizontal pipes they are rectangular. I often walk them because they rattle my brain too much!!! Only road kill we saw today was a dead snake, but we saw horses and a few steers. I have to mention the sign that says “Free ranging cattle” – not sure what that means, but I’m still looking for them!!
Dinner was at the “Flying Pig” and oh my what food!! I had a wonderful pulled pork sandwich and several guys at my table got the “Smokehouse” which was a sampling of ribs, bratwurst, pulled pork, baked beans, cole slaw and not sure what else. It is so much fun eating all of these calories!!!! I am saving every bite of every carb I eat.
Tomorrow is a short day of 55 miles with a little more climb than today and should provide some rest time for a couple of up coming long…..days in the saddle!! Today is the first time I have ever ridden 7 consecutive days and I feel really well. We have lots of interesting dinner conversation about the best remedy for our ailing “bums”. Tonight I even heard it suggested that we try rubbing alcohol?!?!?
I need to make a correction on an earlier post and tell you that we do have 3 riders from Pa. John is from Reading and this is his fourth time to travel across. He has also walked across the USA in 110 days – very strong and fun cyclist!!
Today's hurrah goes to my parents who instilled in me the faith, strength, and stubborness to pursue this endeavor! Also to nephew Bryce who celebrated his birthday today and high school graduation last week - great pictures!!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!

7 comments:

  1. Carole,
    Just curious, do the Subways our there have the $5 footlong deal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carole, Doesn't it figure that Perry would ask the question about the Subway deal? As he was typing it, I knew exactly what he was going to ask! So what does the "W" Stand for in the picture of the mountains? Also, I bet the bats were a bit freaked out with the screaming in the tunnel. They were probably thinking there was some invasion or something. I'm not sure how you are spending so much time in the saddle - I get sore just doing a 12 mile ride! Guess it's all the training. Perry and I have a good time following your blog each morning. He is somewhat computer handicapped (he keeps making the same mistakes everyday while trying to post the message), so I am trying to train him better! Hope you have a good ride today and enjoy the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Joanne, I'll help Aunt Carole out a little because she's busy riding and stuff...or so we're told. The "W" stands for Winnemucca. Megan and I found a lot of these out west, in California and Arizona especially. A lot of the towns we stopped in had the first letter of their name up on a nearby mountain. We found W's, Q's, P's and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Carole, the free range cattle signs are all over Colorado, also. Last summer we actually drove a huge cattle ranch for many, many miles. It was a short cut says Steve. We ran into lots of cattle. It was really cool until we came across a dead coyote, freshly hung upside down on a post. It was mentioned that it was a warning to other coyotes or possibly to the ranchers to let them know one had been shot. So watch out, you may get caught being on their land. We, also, got stopped about halfway by a car and told to wait, they were shooting a movie, and no cars were allowed. Anyway, your blog and the posts have been lots of fun to read. I get to check them out each morning on Ethan's laptop on our vacation.Good idea, Perry and Joanne!!! This might be a good idea to keep up with everyone's summer fun for the whole family in the future.
    I think we are heading to a beach today. Eddie has never been to the ocean, so it should be great fun! Say hello to fellow classmate, Dave, for me. Keep trucking on! Yes Perry, we have $5 footlongs in the south too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carole,
    Just wanted you to know that your gardenia is looking lovely...lots of blooms..we may decide to keep it!Pegg and I did SS today...2 kids, but it gave her and I a chance to talk...she just got back from a week in Disney with the grandchildren, and had a good time, very relaxed.
    Sorry to hear about the rain..but glad it wasn't a 100 mi. day! (guess you were too....)
    Alcohol!!! on your bunns!!! Well have you tried horse linament yet? (bryce uses this on sore arm muscles)
    Maybe you all should invest in some of those underwear Dave did...you only need 1 pair he said!
    Mike is in Tenn. at church work camp, Megan coming in on Thurs., Bill and Judith coming in on Fri.....Then Mike back on Sat....your house should be rocking! Last nite Bryce's friend Michael Brown came down from H-burg after state cup game (they lost, so team is done now)...and they spent the night at your house...just arrived a little while ago for breakfast
    Sounds like each day is another adventure..keep on enjoying life!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope the rain lets up soon, I envy the cool, thanks for letting me talk to Michelle. I still wish I was there. Enjoy the food and comaradie. Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey CC!!
    You'd be proud...Linda & I rode together today!We missed you!! The weather was absolutely perfect...low humidity, nice wind, sunny- maybe 70 degrees...We kept saying ( at least 10 times~ you know me and my enthusiasm!!) "OH!! What a beautiful day"...because we know if you were with us you woulda' said it!!We just kept riding and riding...we didn't want to stop cuz' it was so gorgeous ...especially the view from top o' Russell Tavern Road.I must admit I am quite out of shape since I haven't been riding much...AND I was not SO enthuiastic about the hills like I usually am!! OK...lets just say-Linda kicked my butt!! I wound up doing 30 & Linda did 37...came home after the ride & "zonked out" never even got to my bathtub! Told Linda I need to see her more...gotta' get back in shape til' you come home!!
    Am loving reading your blog, & yes, it is like we are right there with you! Thanks for sharing your adventure!! BB

    ReplyDelete