Monday, June 8, 2009

Sacramento, Ca - Day 2







A cyclist's dream!!! That's what today was!!! It was absolutely gorgeous outside - no humidity, arm warmer temps at 7:00 am and only a high in the 70's!! We left the hotel and headed immediately up and down 3 very steep, but short hills - I even walked down one that had a stop sign at the bottom. The only climb of the day was next - 2.4 miles followed by a non-maintained road that had two fences that we had to get over or under - see above pictures. Then about 55 miles of just plain fun - lot of bike paths - mostly flat beautiful country - we have a little group of five riders that are about the same pace and we spent the day together - see us at lunch at the IN and OUT hamburger joint. We've become very close and have even participated in "community" rest stops. Two men and three women who all have just had lots of fun and laughs together. Our total group consists of 24 men and 4 women that have bonded nicely already in the two days of riding. I am sure we will meet up with some concerns while being together as one happy family for 52 days, but right now it is a blast!!!
The great news is at this point, my hip is feeling really good and I hope that continues.
Reminder, you can enlarge any picture by double clicking on it! Also, if you call and I don't answer, I really can't while I am riding - it is not like being at home and knowing all of the roads I am used to - so continue to call and I will get back to you when I have a moment!!
Today's hurrah goes to my brother, Gary, who came over after I had my new mountain bike sitting in the house for one week and said, "Let's go-we're going to ride!" Gary had double knee replacement on May 11 and is trying very hard to get to the point where he can ride again!! Good luck!
Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Carole, I'm really enjoying following your blog. What a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carole, it looks like you are having a wonderful time. I knew you could make it across the bridge once you set your mind to it. Ride safely and we are keeping an eye on you from Maple Ave.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Carole - I am enjoying reading about and living vicariously through this amazing adventure- I have a picture of Tim and I on our bikes on the Golden Gate Bridge - what a life experience! I knew you could do it.
    Looks like you have made some great friends. I have been an will continue to keep you in my prayers (especially your hip). Hope Tuesday is a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got to try some In 'n Out Burger since we didn't get there when you were here! Yummy aren't they? Very jealous of your adventure, looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Carole!!! 24 to 4! Sounds like good odds to me! Enjoy!! Just got back from the next to last class of Jazzercise. Our instructor is leaving. Maybe I will have to start attending the cycling classes now. Keep trucking on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carole. Your pictures are great and I am enjoying your commentary. I will continue to think of you while I train for LFS!!! I hope you continue to have days as wonderful as todays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carole.....good you have some men to help you pass the bike over the fence.

    ReplyDelete