Friday, June 26, 2009

Pueblo, Co. - Day 20

Hi from Pueblo, Co. Day 20,
We started our day by loading luggage and then riding to the Pancake Palace – and as promised, they had the best food – buckwheat pancakes with pecans – it doesn’t get much better than that!
This was the best day I think I have had so far – they have all been good ones in their own special way, but those of you who ride with me at home and in spin class know how much I love my “creek rides”. Well, the first 50 miles this morning was just that – one long creek ride only it was the Arkansas River that we were beside. And what is better than a creek ride?? – A meandering steady, but gentle downhill into the valley. Yes, out of the mountains and into the valley – I just was smiling all morning long and every now and then left out a holler too!!








Our first stop was at the Five Points Rec Area – the weather was comfortable and the sun was shining – the water was rushing very very quickly and I even thought of brother Randy and niece Sonja – for miles, we saw many white water rafting boats – I took several pictures because they all appeared to be having so much fun!


We had our big hill of the day – 2 ½ mile climb up to Royal Gorge and some people did an added tour of the suspension bridge. The downhill into Canon City was 6-8 miles long and I did it okay – I can’t really say that I enjoyed it, but it was one I could do, so that was good.
After lunch, we rode about another 20 miles to our next rest stop – as we approached here, the skies behind us were starting to darken and were very ominous!!! Our stop had been set up under a tent – similar to what you would take to the beach – I warned them that they might want to take it down. I didn’t waste any time here, because those of you who remember nephew Bryce, when he was about 3 years old at the beach, and someone mentioned storm-how his eyes got very big and he made a bee line as fast as he could go back to the house. There was no stopping him!!! Well, picture Carole on the bike trying to outrun the storm with eyes equally as big!!! Our staff member, Gerrard, told me “piece of cake, just enjoy the ride in”! Then he and another rider ended up getting 2 flat tires each on the way in.
The winds picked up – it gave us a very strong tail wind and I rode from 20-32 mph for 20 miles – most of the time not even pedaling – just the wind pushing me into the town of Pueblo. I did get a couple of drops on me, but made it in before rain. Several other riders weren’t as lucky, and had to take shelter from the storm. Oh, and the tent – went flying across the highway shortly after I left the stop!!!
So, we rode 94.7 miles today and I did it in 6:03 thanks to the winds!!! Now we have a day of rest and regrouping – not sure what I will get into tomorrow because there is a car show in town – hope to get to Walmart and bike shop sometime!




This is two of the guys after our ride today - notice the "Jelly Belly" jersey on the Tom Terrific!!! The other guy is Norbert and a lot of fun to be with!!

I wanted to mention to Kendra that I had breakfast the other morning with a rider who has a brother with CP . Chris is using the ride as a fund raiser because his brother used to be able to ride a bike with help. In our conversation we discussed the baclofen pump and he was very familiar with it and knew of the man who invented it. Small world! You might want to check his blog that I listed yesterday - http://www.chris-pedals-with-pete.blogspot.com/

Today’s hurrah goes to sister ,Judy, who is celebrating her birthday! Not sure which one?!?!?!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Carole, sorry I keep posting under Perry's name. You are looking great in the pictures! I'm glad you are doing well and having a good time. You certainly deserve it! Perry and Matt left for wrestling camp today. Matt has been running 5 miles a day with Coach Harbaugh in prep for the cross-country season (he's not doing soccer). He enjoys the running and is keeping up with the group. Courtney is doing a dietetic internship at the hospital, working at Ruby Tuesdays and taking a biochemistry course online. She complains about begin so busy. I told her that she should look to you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout outs to Emily and me. It was the big 18 and 50!!! Can you guess which one was which???? We chatted about your visit on Emily's birthdate. What a lovely sweet creature she was until the first evening!!!!! I told her how well you would remember. I did shop today to celebrate my big number with two of my collegues. I can tell you are having a fantastic time!!! Keep the the great blogs. Keep Truckin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Word from the beach: First day at the beach went well! 82 degree and 80 percent humidity per the CBT (Carole's Beach Thermometer). Very mild day and warm water. Great start to the week. Rode over to Manteo this morning over the William McDaniel bridge. Sure nothing compared to your bridges, but still interesting! Did not have your speedo to tell speed or distance, but figured it was really far and really fast! (NOT!! Come on, it's vacation!) Hope you're day is going well! PEDAL ON!!

    ReplyDelete