Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Truckee, Ca - Day 4







Hi everyone - this will be short - I did make it to Donner Pass - over 8000 feet of climb, and only had to eat one finger to survive!!! Not really, it was a very long day - beautiful weather, no humidity. Started by climbing right out of the hotel after loading luggage at 5:15 and breakfast at 6:30. I was very alarmed about a road that was 4 miles long and no guard rail and was planning to ride in the sag wagon. In my mind I visualized roads in Italy with no guard rail and a drop off, however I was pleasantly surprised to find there were trees on either side of road, and very little traffic and the road wasn't all that narrow. So I made it, and at one spot a huge deer walked in front of me as I was starting to descend. But she moved on. At mile 32, believe it or not we got on Interstate 80 for 7.5 miles of uphill - very wide shoulders, but very little debris - very noisy with all of the trucks. We had a stop at mile 32.6 where there was construction and the supervisor actually walked us across the construction instead of putting us on the one lane on 80. You can see how beautiful the mtns are in the background. Another rest stop and back on 80 for 9 more miles where the shoulder was still about 12 ft, but full of debris - not fun. Finally off of there and into the pine trees to begin the climb to Donnor Pass. 9 more miles of climb - I rode most of the afternoon with a guy who rides my pace and we basically got each other up the climbs. I did not do the descent which was about 8 miles long because it was very fast with sharp turns and no guard rail, but rocks!!! I will have to get someone else's pictures so I can show how beautiful it was - snow still on the mountains and Donnor Lake at the bottom. I rode in the van to the lake and then rode the rest of the way in to the hotel for a total of 8000 feet of climb in 65 miles of riding. Tomorrow is another tough climb up Mt. Rose - our legs will be very sore from today, but we have a 16.7 mile descent, which I am told isn't as tough as today's was.

Today's hurrah goes to Gettysburg Health and Fitness for all of their help over the last couple of years in training to prepare for the adventure!!! Hi everyone!!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!!

5 comments:

  1. Hello again, keep up the good news...maybe next year or so, you and David could lead a group of family cross country...I heard some shaffers say it sounded like fun...and its obvious Perry and Joanne would be on board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Carole! I knew you could do it! Just looking at your route is making me tired. Glad you are in a group with the support. I set up Luther and Evelyn with a google sign in last night and showed them how to post on the blog. Look for Evalu's comments in the future! Glad you are getting some great pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I'll weigh in on this adventure. To tell you the truth the whole idea just sounds ridiculous. Honestly, who in their right mind would voluntarily ride their bike from the Pacific to the Atlantic. Sounds like crazy talk if you ask me.

    Anyhow, it's awesome to hear that you're meeting friends Aunt Carole. That is one luxury that I had to forfeit on my trip. If for nothing else it assures you of some ears to complain to when your butt starts hurting.

    I think that's it for now. Your house and your car are in great shape. In fact, I just washed your car, and as soon as we get a sunny day here I'm planning on putting up your Christmas lights. It'll be one less thing that you'll have to worry about when you get home.

    Good luck and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Carole!

    This is the third time I tried to comment. I have read all of your entries and especially enjoy the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carole! I think my last comment actually posted! (I'm eiselh...)

    I would have loved to join you - the thrill of seeing new places and making new friends!

    However, I am enjoying the first week off from school - serving my grandson his first bowl of chocolate pudding and preparing for his first birthday party.

    You didn't miss much with the strawberries - they were water-logged and rotted in my frig after one week, though I made my first strawberry rhubarb pie!

    Hang in there, champ!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete