Thursday, June 18, 2009

Salt lake City, Utah - Day 12

Hi!!
It has been a spectacular day!! A great day to reflect, regroup, rest, sightsee, and just relax!! We got to sleep in and even get to sleep in the same bed for two nights in a row!! My roommate, Marilyn, and I and two other riders, John and Bob all took shuttle into Salt Lake to see the Temple Court. It was nice because someone else arranged it and I didn’t have to think, just enjoy!! The weather was absolutely beautiful – in the 70’s, sunny and no humidity. We could see for miles and didn’t have to chase any thunderstorms!!
We saw the Mormon Tabernacle, but were unable to go in – it has the capability for 4 weddings at a time and we saw many newly married couples having their pictures taken on the doorsteps. While taking pictures of a reflecting pool, we ask a gentleman to take a picture for us and we returned the favor. He is a Catholic priest from India and is working in Wilmington, Delaware. He spent the rest of the day with us and we all had a great time! My roommate is a part time associate pastor, so I felt well taken care of today.



We went into the auditorium where the Morman Choir performs – it seats 21,000 people – unfortunately, my pictures did not turn out. But, for you carpenters out there the building has no poles or columns because there is a 620 ton support beam – 150 feet long!!! On the top of the building there is an observation deck and you can see for miles!! I took lots of pictures up there.


Next we went into the building where the organist was rehearsing and we heard a 30 minute recital – incredible and a great time for reflecting!!



Next we went to a big outdoor mall and did a little shopping and had lunch in the food court.
We took the shuttles back to hotel and I had several phone calls to take and to make. Next outside to clean my bike and get ready for tomorrow. The hotel has a happy hour and about 18 of us sat in the room and just enjoyed visiting and talking with each other before 8 of us went to dinner.
Rest days are planned around airports so that we can do the exchange of riders. Five people are leaving us and twelve new people will join us tomorrow for what is to be another beautiful ride – most of them are from Colorado and have ridden together before. It will be fun to meet new people and learn about them. I did introduce myself to a couple that I had seen with bikes in the hallway earlier in the day. I have another correction to make about the first 11 days – there are 5 of us from Pennsylvania and a couple are close enough that we may see each other after the summer.

Today's hurrah goes to Dave Moore and wife Carol who were both very inspirational in my efforts to prepare for this adventure. They will be coming back to Pa. while I continue on having a great time!!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!

For those of you just joining, remember to click on the picture to see the enlarged version - especially the one of the organ today - welcome all who are following!

2 comments:

  1. Carole,
    I was a little disappointed that you did not provide everyone with a little history regarding Salt Lake City. I would assume that there is an abundance of salt available, hence the name, Salt Lake. Let me provide a little info regarding the history of salt (I learned this while on our trip to Germany/Austria this past Spring).
    While visiting Saltzburg (Austria)- where the "Sound of Music" with Julie Andrews was filmed - we visited the historical salt mines (get it, "Saltz"burg) and we learned just how valuable a commodity salt was. The word "salary" actually evolved from salt and was used to help express one's "value or worth". Also, the expression, "worth your salt" also indicated how well one worked in the salt mines. Many top secret documents of Hitler's Germany army were to have been hiddened (buried)deep in the salt mines of Austria as well.
    So there is your history lesson for the day. I thought you might want to share this info (and wow them at the same time!) with your riding buddies as you pedal across the country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a superb day- love these pictures the organ is amazing! I really enjoy hearing about your day.
    did you know if you hit next blog by accident you get taken to a blog of a couple in I think China - not sure because I can't read the language.oh, well.
    looking forward to catching up with you when I get back from Ellwood City.

    ReplyDelete