Sunday, June 21, 2009

Green River, Utah - Day 15


Hi from Green River, Utah
We left the hotel at 7:30 after a 6:30 breakfast and it was cool enough for a jacket – we had a great day today – not a difficult cue sheet – get on Rt 6 until it merges with 70 East at 28 miles and go about 40 more miles to Green River. Most of today’s route was flat or downhill. There was only one SAG stop, but our support vans were there constantly with water.




This is a picture of the “lady’s room” at our SAG stop – as you can see it afforded a little more privacy than just the 6-8 inch sage brush we had earlier!!




These were some interesting llamas - check out the small black one - think he was the black emu?!?!? Double click on picture to enlarge.





Most of today’s scenery was beautiful striated rock mountains and mounds of brown dirt – the good news was that the vegetation was a little bit taller making our restroom stops a little more private. We still had rumble strips and most of the shoulder surface was like the 60 miles that we called “rough” on last summer’s Natchez Trace trip.



There was a first for me today and that was that I got into the hotel before my room was ready. Normally this wouldn’t have been a problem, but we were leaving at 2 for a sight-seeing trip to Arches National Park – I finally had to just put on clothes and go dirty!!! It was pretty hot, so that wasn’t a major problem.




The arch formations in the park were incredible – and went on for miles and miles! We stopped to take pictures – see the one of us when we entered the park – this isn’t the whole group because some chose not to go and some were to go white water rafting. These formations are incredible and I am sure my pictures don’t do them justice!!!




Now to address another issue – someone asked why they didn’t see SCRAMO on my bike – well, when we got to San Francisco, I was told that he was much too tame for the wild rabbits that we would see out here and he might get hurt!!! So I chose to keep him healthy so I can use him back home.

Speaking of animals, I did see a prairie dog today, and someone else saw an antelope. Not much other animal life or vegetation!!

Tomorrow will be a long and hot day – 96 miles!

Today’s hurrah goes out to my Dad and all of the other dads on this Happy Father’s Day!!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment