Saturday, June 20, 2009

Price, Ut - Day 14

Hello from Price, Utah – Day 14
When you do a ride like this every day is a different kind of adventure!!! After yesterday’s antics with construction when we didn’t think it could get any worse, it did!! We had been warned by a local of what was to come and when we went to route rap we were handed two pages of cues – the first one, the typed one and the second handwritten with all of the changes to the first one. Due to anticipated safety issues, it was decided that we should get an early start and breakfast was at 5 and load at 5:45.
The first 12 miles wasn’t too bad, but lots of changes and then we started riding up into a “wind farm” – the ones that have the huge windmills!!! Well, that can on ly mean one thing – lots and lots of wind – 35-40mph! But I was able to ride all the way to it without stopping and finally we moved into the canyon. We were on rt. 89 and it also had lots of construction!!! We had to climb over 3 cement barriers and hand over our bikes and ride behind barrels and all sorts of things.


We stopped at a very small store to use the restroom, however, we were told we need to buy something first - as you can see from the picture if you don't buy anything this is what happens to the tires on your vehicle.
I was beginning to have some hip issues and finally decided to get into the van and that turned out to be a really smart decision!!! Soon it began to rain – 2 lane road with narrow shoulder – 3 ft. with 12-14 inch rumble strip that looked like it was made by someone who had been drinking.


So I helped with the one SAG shop and the rest of my pictures in the canyon were taken from inside the van.

This gentleman has lived in this store for 78 years old - his grandfather was a friend of Butch Cassidy - see the gas pumps outside!



The rest of these pictures are taken while riding downhill in the van. The lad with the pickle jar is an intern - lot of fun and was helping me tonight with my computer.








Take not of the narrow shoulder with the rumble strips!!

When we arrived at hotel, I helped unload luggage and then waited for different riders to come in – we had all kinds of comments like – “it was a great ride”; that was the most technical ride I have ever done; that was the most dangerous I ever felt on a bike; I am freezing; I need a hot shower. It really was nasty out – only the front runners missed the rain – everyone else was soaked. I helped clean peoples bikes and dry them off – I even walked to the store to get chocolate mild for some of the riders.
Everyone finally made it in safely – we had one rider fall because the rumble strips filled with water, but he is fine. Several other riders came in the SAG van too, but we are all here safe and sound!!!

Today's hurrah goes to Coach Bob for helping me maintain my sanity throughout all of this silliness!
Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment