Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 1 Valejo, Ca





It was quite an eventful first day!! We had breakfast at 5, load van at 6:15 and started riding at 6:30. First picture is me with the van before we started. Three miles out we had a 3 miles climb that was significant and happy to report that all riders made it. Continued on to down town San Francisco with stop signs at bottoms of long hill and lots of intersections. Finally to ocean for our wheel dipping - long walk to water to carry your bike, group picture and then out to Golden Gate Bridge. I am happy to report it was an absolutely beautiful day and an angel, "Maire" rode with me and got me across the bridge - very windy, but I survived. Didn't cry until after I was over, but it was short lived!!! Then off to a very confusing "cue" sheet and lots of fun finding roads - we road with a lot of traffic today and several bike paths which were nice for a break from the noise!! My friend, Maire, was with me most of the day - she's in the picture by the bridge - we stopped a lot to take pictures and then met up with my roommate and a nice guy that we rode with. We finished the ride with 19 miles on a freeway with a wide shoulder. Dinner, "route rap", and now a few minutes to get ready for tomorrow before going to bed. We rode 75 miles today - my computer didn't work, so can't give you any statistics yet. We have a wonderful group of 28 cyclists and 22 to do the whole ride and 5 staff members who deserve every penny they get.


Today's hurrah goes to my sister, Jamie, who spearheaded the effort to get my first bike for me for my 51st birthday!!


Thank God for the safety, health, and energy.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making it across the bridge!!! Sounds like a great first day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Carole!!! We are so proud of your accomplishment of getting over the bridge. Just wanted to tell you to watch out for the marmots, they're adoreable, and the moose, they meander in any direction, when you head into Colorado. Look out for Gary and Teresa, they are motorcycling across the path similar to you in the opposite direction. I told her to look out for you all!!!! Have a great day and look out for more bridges!!!!! Love, the Wilsons and Eddie (as we sit in our air conditioned room and send this to you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First major challenge of the ride whipped! Way to go! Your off and riding.... By the way, Judy mentioned the moose, do you have your SCRAMO with you? I don't remember seeing it on the bike?!?
    Pedal on!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clodius and I are following your progress also. The first day sounds wonderful. We're so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm envious of you already.....tomorrow you get to ride your bike in beautiful California all day and I'll be stuck in a driver's ed car for 10 hours with beginning drivers. Congrats on crossing the bridge - first hurdle conquered!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You brought back memories of Nicholas crawling across a bridge. Just add that victory to you many others. Glad to hear that your adventure is off to such a great start. Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete