Monday, June 22, 2009

Grand Junction, Co - Day 16


Hello from Grand Junction, Co – Day 16
The day started with a big breakfast bright and early because we had 96 miles to cover. Basically the directions were to go left out of hotel and get on I-70 and stay there until you get to Grand Junction, 96 miles later. The sign as we left town said “Next service area – 110 miles”

Our first SAG stop was at mile 42 and you can see other than our trailer, there was very little there!






As a result, I didn’t take many pictures of scenery today because it all looked the same until we entered Colorado. Weather was a little cool for first 20 miles and then off with jacket and the beginning of inhaling any and all possible liquids to stay hydrated.



I was feeling really strong and very happy with the first 50 miles – even had some people behind me!! And then the trouble began –I had to use the “f” word today for the first time - I flatted on the road!!! Bob, my riding buddy, was able to change it and used his Topeka pump to pump it to 100psi lickety split!! And we were off again only to have a second flat 12 miles later. I called staff and they came and took me to the rest stop – 1 mile away – they changed the tire while I cooled down and ate. Both flats were caused by a little wire from the truck tires that had blown out – the shoulder was varigated and very difficult to see the wires. Tonight at dinner they asked how many people had flats today and about 20/35 raised their hand and about half of them had at least two – some even had 3!!


We entered Colorado at mile 7.5 – this is Meiri, Norbert, Bob, and I. Then we rode 20 more miles into Grand Junction – this my first shot of the Colorado River! We have a great view of the Mesa from downtown Grand Junction.














Tomorrow our route has been changed briefly thanks to a former ABB rider who lives here and has mapped out a route that takes us on a beautiful bike path – can’t wait!!!
Oh, this might be a good time to explain to you how we get the van to stop if we need them. Of course, we can call on our cell, if there is service. Or, when they drive by, if we need help, we put one of our hands on top of our head and then they pull over. If we are doing okay, then we put our hand out to the side – we can use either hand.

Today’s hurrah goes to David Shaffer, my nephew, who rode across country this past October , unsupported – there is no way I could even consider that! Congrats David!!!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!


>

2 comments:

  1. Now lets not get too crazy Aunt Carole. Yes I was unsupported by any person that I knew before the trip began (except for the Georgia Schars two days from the end), but that doesn't mean I didn't get help. I had plenty of help everyday from strangers with directions, stories, meals and even mechanical help for my ailing bike. It's great to see that you're doing very well.

    As for the flat tires, I hope it was two separate pieces of wire and not the same one twice. I think you know by now to check your tire when you change it. Alas, though, that wire was about the only thing that could penetrate my tires, and it had me saying the "f" word quite a few times.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Carole looks great and like you are going strong except for some silly flats! We missed you at Caledonia today and I was in all kinds of trouble for not bringing your games along. Oh well, we will have to go again when you are done!

    Can't wait to see the scenery in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete