Monday, June 29, 2009

Garden City, Kansas - Day 23

Hi everyone from Garden City, Ks.,
Yes, we really are in Kansas for our first night of 6 or 7 – the last part of Colorado was very similar to Kansas. As you can see from the welcome sign with my roommate, Marilyn, we really are here!!



We started riding around 7 this morning and I didn’t get in until 6 because the time changed today – we are now in Central Time – just 1 hr. behind the east coast. This was cruel on a century day! We had another long day and I had another PR – two back to back centuries!!!
The cue sheet just said get on Rt. 50 East – go 104 miles, exit and go another ½ mile into the motel!! Basically the ride was more of what we did yesterday – very hot – no shade trees to be found – nice wide shoulder and basically nothing to look at but fields as far as you can see!

I did have one interesting part of the ride – I was chased uphill by a dog – but, when I screamed “No”, “Go Home” and he finally relented!!

They do have some very long trains here - yesterday I counted the cars on one and there were 118 cars and 4 engines - two at the beginning and two at the end!



It is interesting that a lot of the towns have the same name as those back home – “Syracuse”?!!?


There are lots of irrigation systems just like we had on the farm and we saw several cattle fields and a couple of field farms.
Tomorrow we have a short day – I say this cautiously because it seems every time I say that, for some reason or another it turns into a long day. Today I had 50 of the 107 miles done by 11:15. We have 51 tomorrow, but aren’t starting to ride until 8 and we will be riding into Dodge City!! This should prove interesting and hopefully give a little time to recoup after our two long days today and yesterday!!

Today's hurrah goes to my roommate, Marilyn, because she stayed with me when I was really hurting - she got me through to the end so I can now say I have done two back to back century plus rides!!

Thank God for the safety, health, and energy!

3 comments:

  1. hey, Carole- catching up on your blog today since I am back in the land of computers. I am glad we stopped playing phone tag and were able to talk on your rest day. take care and enjoy- I will continue to enjoy following your blog and will think of you as I do my extremely short bike rides. Tam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, back to back centuries! Very impressive. Less than one month to go now. Am enjoying the blog (sorry, missed a few days). I found a neat website that you can plot out your rides on using GPS technology - probably nothing new to you though, but I've been mapping out my runs with it.
    Keep on cycling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th of July and congratulations on reaching the half way point!

    ReplyDelete