Friday, December 31, 2010

Dec. 31,2010

As most of you are aware 2010 has been a memorable year for me. After completing my Cross Country Challenge in 2009, I began 2010 with a hip replacement surgery in Jan. This was the beginning of an ordeal that resulted in seven surgeries and eight hospitalizations from January to end of August. Following my last hospitalization in August, I began teaching half days for a month. I have been working full days ever since.

Physically I am uncomfortable, but making improvements with each week. Mentally, the ordeal was extremely stressful and frustrating because I had no control over what was happening in my body.

I am where I am today thanks to my surgeon and infectious disease doctors from Hershey Medical Center. I could not have come this far without their expertise. I highly commend their professionalism and personal concern for their patients.

This whole experience was quite humbling for me. I had a tremendous outpouring of concert, love, and support from family, friends, and many people I don’t even know. I would like to thank all of you for your part in my recuperation. Many people visited, sent cards, bought meals took me to appointments, sat with me day and night, e-mailed, etc.
At this point I am hoping I will be able to “pay it forward” to each of you!

Currently I am doing “suppression therapy” (antibiotics) and will have to continue for years. I am able to ride the stationary bike, spin bike, and do short rides outside. I am hoping to be able to ride my road bike by ext summer and am thinking of my next “long” ride. In the words of my infectious disease doctor, I should be a “poster child for suppression therapy”. My surgeon says, “my current function is an example of the triumph of the human spirit”.

I wish each of you a relaxing and enjoyable holiday season! My wheels have not yet come off!!
Happy New Year and welcome to 2011!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment