Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wed., Oct. 13

Hi everyone,
Sorry it has been so long between updates, but I was waiting for my most recent blood work. I was at Hershey yesterday with both drs. Blood work is good – infection tests were perfect – kidney function a little high and they will watch and pull blood in 2 more wks – if still high or higher, we will have to switch antibiotics – they have 3-4 more choices to try. Diabetes test was little on high side, but still normal. Chlorestoral best it has ever been with my LDLs lower than they have ever been. All in all a good visit – surgeon wants me to push hard and push through things – says this first yr. is very important because it will be the best I will get and want to get as much as possible. Infectious disease very pleased also.
Currently working my 3rd wk of full days and very tired at night and still going to bed early to get enough rest. It still takes me twice as long to do things and learning to work without a right hand until things eventually become habit. I had the wheel chair returned, put away the raised toilet seat and both walkers are upstairs. I’m sleeping upstairs in my own bed, but have had to learn a way to carry things up and down steps – think I need a pulley system. Surgeon wants me to walk w/out cane as I feel ready; PT is saying not yet. So who do you think I will listen to!?!??!
Imagine my surprise at the knock on my door Sunday afternoon when brother Gary said, “come on, let’s go. We’re going to ride just around development.” This is exactly what he did and said 11 yrs. ago when the family got me my first bike. I was petrified and we first worked on a smoother way for me to get on my bike that is on the trainer. Then he took my road bike down from the wall – put air in tires – I put on my helmet and riding gloves. We spent a good half hr. trying to figure best way for me to get on and off bike using a stool in the driveway. I attempted to ride with him holding the seat (just like a parent with a young child) – but just like skiing you have to pedal to get some momentum and I was just too scared and shaky at this point. I tried really hard, but finally said we have to wait and let me get on my trainer some more first. The positioning of the seat to pedals is different on road bikes than on a stationary bike and that was hard on my upper thigh muscles. But, at least the first step was taken. My PT who is an avid cyclist was very excited to hear this.
Thanks again to all for prayers and support!!
Carole

No comments:

Post a Comment