Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!!





Hi everyone,

Thought I might post to give an update since the last time I did it was Easter. I had a successful school year and finished without any sick days other than appointments at HMC. I continued to get stronger through the year with my day consisting of work, working out, dinner, shower, to bed and up and do it all over again. I was riding and building up distance and endurance even while still dealing with discomfort in the leg.






In early June, I went to the beach with my sister and her family. The youngest graduated from high school this year. It was a great time - fun to watch the kids taking over some of the adult respnsibilities. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to walk on the sand without my cane, but was pleasantly surprised that I could do it if I was wearing a pair of water shoes. I do have sun sensitivity issues due to the antibiotic that I have to take to keep the infection at bay.






Toward the end of June, I flew to Seattle and met a friend and my sister. We rented bikes and did some of the paved trails there. I did ride across this bridge!! It was a test to see how my hip would hold up on back to back days of riding. I was able to have dinner with two of the riders from my cross country ride. It was great seeing them!!



A lot of summer days were spent meeting with friends who had helped me when I was so sick. I am forever indebted to them for helping me when I most needed it.


In the fall, I headed back to teaching for what I hope to be my last year before retiring. It is scary because I know that I need to be busy - currently looking for something productive, but fun to fill my time. I still have blood work done every two months to check for infection markers, but currently, I am doing really well. I have less discomfort and am still exercising daily. I was happy to have achieved my goal of a 35 mile day on the bike in October. Now, I am working toward a 50!

So here I am on Thanksgiving Day with so much to be thankful for - my doctors topping the list. The picture of my siblings was taken last evening - not very often do all get together. My sister from Kentucky is home and staying at my house. The time will be short, but I am thankful for it.

I hope all of you have had a great year and are doing well!
Carole

No comments:

Post a Comment