Sunday, November 1, 2009

Surgery??

Well here I am and it is Nov. 1st. I have had a real tough time coming down off of the high of my Cross Country Challenge, but have started my 34th year of teaching ( 28th in the state). It has been quite a challenging beginning due to several new programs being instituted and me still thinking about my summer trip.

I did a 75 mile organized ride in Sep and the Seagull Century on Oct. 10 - still riding outside as much as I can - time change today will probably force me to the gym - did a nice 30 mile ride today!

As many of you know, I have a very bad hip and have been taking pain med. for a year now - pain has gotten worse since I returned from my trip. So, in my mind the only solution is to ride 80 miles a day and all would be well. But, alas, weather is putting a damper on that as is my job. So I visited with my orthopedist to see if there was anything else I could do to avoid surgery. The response was, "Carole, that hip was ready to be done a year ago!" I have bitten the bullet and decided to have the hip replacement surgery and am scheduled to have it done on January 21, 2010. Of course the first question to both the orthopedist and the physical therapist was whether I would be able to ride again - both responded positively!! I will not be doing a "crossing" this summer, but should be able to do a week long ride by August. The PT told me my biggest problem will be "patience" until the muscles heal totally - I will be able to walk and swim fairly quickly - back on spin bike in 3 mo. and on road bike by summer. I will keep you posted because I will need something to help me pass the time!!

1 comment:

  1. Carole,

    Will be praying for your surgery. Makes your amazing accomplishment this summer all the more amazing! THanks for posting to let us know. While I am back to the normal of everyday life finally (took 2months for that to happen) amd thankfully not back to "normal". Still feeling the many positive effects of this trip. Am hoping the mellower me lasts.

    Best wishes to you. Maybe our paths will cross as you get back on the bike. I have two friends who had hips replaced within the last year or two and both are back out biking without noticable impact.

    ReplyDelete